Wednesday, May 14, 2008

National Junior Honor Society


Zachary's Induction into NJHS
May 13, 2008

I pledge myself to uphold the high purposes of the National Junior Honor Society to which I have been selected; I will be true to the principles for which it stands; I will be loyal to my school, and will maintain and encourage high standards of scholarship, character, leadership, service and citizenship.

Last night was the National Junior Honor Society induction. The above was the oath that the KMS middle school students (91 were inducted into the Honor Society)had to recite. All the 2008 officers (which were 8th graders) gave little speeches on scholarship, character, leadership, service and citizenship. The whole program was very well done. One of the girls I think she spoke on character said "It is not just who you are when someone is watching, but who you are when no one is watching "if a teacher leaves you alone to take a test and you know exactly where the answer is in your notes do you cheat?"

We were very proud that Zach received this honor. Of course his statement was "this will look really good on college applications" I am positive that when I was in the 5th grade I didn't know what MIT was let alone that I wanted to go there and I am even more sure that college applications were not even on my radar in the 7th grade. I can also say that I didn't and wouldn't have voluntarily taken Algebra (at the high school) over the summer so I could take geometry as an 8th grader!!

1 comment:

Paulinacha said...

Way to go, Zach! Rock on, brother-child! Congrats, Amy, that's definitely something to be proud of... he looks a lot like you and your brother, doesn't he? I sure think so! Now if you'd only post a picture of yourself I'd be super-happy!